Antrim County

ACHL Div 2

ACHL Div 2 2013

Carey Faughs v Clooney Gaels

Wednesday 19th June 2013:

Carey Team:

(1) Steven McGinn; (2) Nataniel Hunter; (3) Fionntan McCarry; (4) Michael McVeigh; (5) John McBride; (6) James McCouaig; (7) Michael Hegarty; (8) Patrick Butler; (9) Patrick McBride; (10) Emmet Hunter; (11) Cathal McAuley; (12) Martin Hunter; (13) Sean McLoughlin; (14) Martin McAuley; (15) Fiachra McVeigh.


(18) Conleth McVeigh on for (10) Emmet Hunter (halftime);

(17) Sean McBride on for (12) Martin Hunter (45min 20sec);

(16) Leon McVeigh;

(19) Daniel Hill;


Patrick Butler: 0.4

Martin McAuley: 1.3 (0.3 from frees)

Patrick McBride: 0.2

Sean McLoughlin: 0.1

Fiachra McVeigh: 1.1

Match Report:

Carey Faughs 2-11 Clooney 2-15

The first half proved a close encounter as the score ebbed and flowed throughout to leave things all square at half time. Clooney took control in the second half and started to pull away from the home side, a gap which proved too much for Carey to close and the winners ran out 4 point winners.

Clooney were first out of the blocks with 2 points in quick succession in the opening minute. Carey replied instantly with a Patrick Butler point before a long range free from Cathal McAuley spent a minute or two in and about the square before Martin 'Cubby' McAuley finally struck to send the ball to the back of the net.

Clooney replied a minute later with a Bernard Graham point before Fiachra McVeigh got enough of a touch on a high, long range ball in by Martin Hunter to send past the Clooney keeper and extend the home side lead to 4.

A Clooney point by Donal Graham and 2 by Sean O'Connell were only interrupted by a Sean McLoughlin point. Clooney then took the lead when Donal Graham drove the ball to the back of the Carey net. Carey replied within 2 minutes when Fiachra McVeigh found the target to leave things all square.

The home side then took the lead once again with a converted Martin McAuley free and extended it to two 5 minutes later courtesy of Patrick McBride. Fionnbar O'Neill made 2 runs through from midfield to send the ball between the sticks a minute apart to leave things on an even par at the break.

Half time score: Carey 2-5 Clooney Gaels 1-8

Once again it was the visitors who were quickest out of the traps after the restart with a Bernard Graham point and a Gerard Graham free. Patrick Butler claimed a point back for the home side but once again Gerard Graham was accurate with a 65'. With the visitors continuing to pressurise, keeper Steven McGinn's hand was called into action as he collected 3 balls and cleared them over the following 3 minutes before another Gerard Graham free was added to the board to extend the lead to 3.

Brief Carey pressure culminated in a wide and a save before a couple of Clooney wides ended with a Bernard Graham point. Another Clooney point was added to the board before Patrick Butler sent the ball over the bar. A McAuley free was converted for the home side to leave a goal in it before a well taken sideline cut by Bernard Graham flew over Steven McGinn and landed in the back of the net to double their lead.

Cubby shaved a point back for the men in green and when Carey got a close range free a minute later Cathal McAuley had no option but to go low. Clooney stood firm and saved his effort. A Carey wide was followed by a Carey long range free which was dropped in but cleared. Patrick Butler was on target again for Carey but once again Gerard Graham found the target from a placed ball from 65 metres. The home side got the last score of the game when Patrick McBride came racing up the left wing and went for goal but the ball was always rising but it was Clooney who claimed the points with a 4 point win in Carey's first match back at their newly developed home pitch.

Full time score: Carey Faughs 2-11 Clooney Gaels 2-15