North Antrim

McCaughan Cup Final 2012

McCaughan Cup Final 2012

Cushendun v Carey Faughs


Thursday 9th August 2012:


(1) Liam McBride; (2) Paddy McAlonan; (3) Gerard McBride; (4) Sean Gillan; (5) Leon McVeigh; (18) Fintan McCarry; (17) Christopher Duncan; (8) Tommy Devlin; (9) Peter Murphy; (10) Kevin Murphy; (11) Daniel McAllister; (12) Patrick Butler; (13) Gerard McAuley; (14) Ciaran McCaughan; (15) Conleth McVeigh


(16) Fiachra McVeigh on for (2) Paddy McAlonan (37min 50sec);

(19) Daniel Hill;

(20) JP McAuley;

(21) Darren McVeigh.



Patrick Butler: 0.1

Tommy Devlin: 0.2

Daniel McAllister: 0.4 (all from frees)

Gerard McAuley: 0.1

Ciaran McCaughan: 0.2

Kevin Murphy: 1.0


Match Report:

Carey won a 60m free within 5 seconds of the whistle but Daniel McAllister hadn't quite settled at this stage and miss-hit. A wide by Eoin Magee after 1 minute was quickly corrected as he then found the target on the second asking a minute later to get Cushendun off the mark. Within 30 seconds Eoin Magee had another shot on goal but keeper Liam McBride easily saved and cleared. Carey still couldn't get on the scoreboard as they had another wide in the 7th minute but a minute later a pass from Daniel McAllister back to Gerard McAuley who had just hit a sideline cut led to Gerard sending the ball between the posts. Torr Kinney got Cushendun's 2nd point of the half approaching 11 minutes and they then stretched their slender lead with a converted free a minute later. Carey replied quickly with a point by Ciaran McCaughan but once again Cushendun stretched away slightly again with a point in reply but followed it up with 2 wides. Carey's Daniel McAllister converted a free after 18 minutes to leave just 1 between the sides. Carey kept this momentum with them but the Cushendun keeper easily collected Conleth McVeigh's shot. It was then the Carey keepers turn to collect a ball dropped short from a 65m free. Cushendun scored a point in the 20th minute and with nothing between these sides in this half Carey replied within the minute with a converted free. A chance to level things went amiss as Carey sent a free wide approaching 23 minutes. Cushendun then hit a wide from a sideline cut but Eoin Magee followed this up with a point to lead by 2 with 4 minutes remaining. Daniel McAllister converted a close range free for Carey after 27 and a half minutes to leave just 1 between the sides again and a high ball by Kevin Murphy then dropped to the Cushendun keeper to clear. At the other end of the pitch Liam McBride was also called into action as he came running out of his square to clear a low ball and with Cushendun on the attack again they ended this half with a wide.

Half time score: Cushendun 0.6 Carey 0.5

Cushendun started the second half as they ended the first with a wide. Carey's Patrick Butler got a point within a minute of the whistle but it was then back to the other end of the pitch as Liam McBride saved a Cushendun low shot. Cushendun then had the momentum as over the following minutes Eoin Magee got a point, the Carey keeper was forced to come out to collect a dropping ball, they then had 2 wides before Rory McQuillan added a point. Cushendun then had 2 more wides, Carey also had a wide and then Cushendun converted a free to stretch their lead to 3. Cushendun had another wide before, against the run of play, Carey's Kevin Murphy sent in a high ball which lobbed the keeper who had come off his line and found the back of the net to leave things all square after 12 minutes. This seemed to ignite Carey slightly but their follow up effort went wide and a free from a tight angle dropped nicely to the keepers paw. Cushendun started to stretch away once again with 2 quick points, a wide and then a converted free to quickly lead by 3 once again. Again Carey fought back and Ciaran McCaughan added a point. Just a minute later Carey had a goal chance as Fiachra McVeigh made a great run towards the square and unselfishly passed to Conleth McVeigh who's effort was blocked and the loose ball found Tommy Devlin who sent the ball over the bar to reduce the deficit back to just 1 with 19 and a half minutes of this half played. Carey sent over another wide before Cushendun once again tried to stretch their lead courtesy of 2 frees. A free then assisted Carey to leave 1 between them again. Cushendun hit yet another wide and Carey also pressurised in front of goal but their efforts were cleared. Another Cushendun free helped them keep that bit of breathing space with just 2 minutes left on the clock and in injury time they sealed the win with another point to win by 3.

Full time score: Cushendun 0.16 Carey 1.10