North Antrim

Countess of Antrim Cup 2013

Countess of Antrim Cup 2013

Armoy v Carey Faughs

Thursday 13th June 2013:

Carey Team:

(1) Steven McGinn; (2) Michael McVeigh; (3) Fionntan McCarry; (4) Daniel Hill; (5) John McBride; (6) James McCouaig; (7) Michael Hegarty; (8) Patrick McBride; (9) Colm McBride; (10) Martin McAuley; (11) Cathal McAuley; (12) Martin Hunter; (13) Kieran Kane; (14) Chrissy Butler; (23) Conor O'Brien.


(17) Sean McBride on for (13) Kieran Kane (38min 55sec);

(16) Leon McVeigh on for (15) Conor O'Brien (43min 40sec);

(18) Conleth McVeigh;

(20) Sean Gillan.


Martin Hunter: 0.2

Cathal McAuley: 0.3 (0.2 from frees)

Martin McAuley: 3.4 (0.2 from frees; 0.1 from a 65')

Match Report:

Armoy 1-17 Carey Faughs 3-9

An early goal set Armoy off on the front foot and the home side had a 5 point lead going into the break. Martin Cubby rolled back the years with a 3 goal salvo and had the sides all square at the end of normal time. 2 injury time points sealed the deal for the home side as they progress to the semis.

Within the first minute of play full forward John Cassley knocked the ball down for Eamonn McCaughan to pull on and drive into the back of the net. Carey got off the mark after 4 minutes courtesy of a Cathal McAuley free. The home side stretched their lead with 2 Owen Kinney points. Martin Hunter and Cathal McAuley scraped 2 back to leave 2 between the sides but Tommy Burns and Owen Kinney extended the home side lead once more.

Kieran Kane was unlucky when his shot hit the underside of the bar and no-one was there to finish it off. Both sides had a couple of wides before stalwart Martin McAuley added a point. Christopher Butler won a ball in a lot of traffic and picking out Martin Hunter sent the ball diagonally across the field for Martin to send between the sticks to leave just 2 between them once again.

Some Armoy possession was wasted as the home side hit a couple of wides before McCaughan added a further point. Carey then began to pressurise themselves but couldn't take advantage as one shot dropped to the keepers paw and they also notched up a couple of wides. An Ɖamonn McCaughan free and a Tommy Burns point ended the half with a 5 point lead for the home side.

Half time score: Armoy 1-7 Carey Faughs 0-5

Armoy came flying out of the blocks in the second half with points from Kinney, Finbar McBride and McCaughan. Cathal McAuley took a 21m free and the rebound fell to Martin 'Cubby' McAuley to send to the back of the net. John Cassley replied with an Armoy point before Cubby sent over a 65'. Once again the Carey charge was finished off by veteran Martin Cubby as Christoper Butler's shot on goal was saved but Martin blasted the rebound once again to the back of the net.

Finbar McBride added another point before a couple of wides by both sides including another goal chance by Martin McAuley narrowly going wide after a great ball across the square by Cathal McAuley. 2 converted points by Cubby left just one between the sides after 17 minutes of play. Armoy got a second wind and added further points by McCaughan and Kinney but wasted a large amount of possession with a succession of wides.

A Cathal McAuley converted free was cancelled out by another Armoy point before a great run by John McBride ended with a cracking goal by sharpshooter Martin Cubby to seal his hat trick and leave things all square at the end of normal time. Armoy's Eamonn McCaughan converted a 21m injury time free and with tensions high in these crucial final minutes tempers spilled over and Colm McBride left the field with a red card. With the final puck of the ball Charlie McCormick sent the ball over the bar for a deserved 2 point win. Good luck in the semis.

Full time score: Armoy 1-17 Carey Faughs 3-9