Tain League semi-final

Tain Club Hurling League Division 2 Semi-Final 2012

Slaughtneil v Carey Faughs


Friday 20th April 2012:

Carey Team:

(1) Shane McCambridge; (2) Gerard McBride; (3) Michael Hegarty; (4) Michael McVeigh; (5) Sean McLaughlin; (6) Emmet Hunter; (7) Leon McVeigh; (8) Steven McGinn; (9) James McCouaig; (10) Tommy Devlin; (11) Cathal McAuley (captain); (12) James Black; (13) Ruairi McBride; (14) Martin Hunter; (25) Christopher Butler


(16) Martin McAuley on for (13) Ruairi McBride (21min) ā€“ blood sub

(17) Sean Gillan on for (10) Tommy Devlin (56min 15sec);

(18) Daniel McAllister on for (6) Emmet Hunter (48min)

(19) Eamon McBride on for (4) Michael McVeigh (58min 45sec);

(21) Conor O'Brien on for (14) Martin Hunter (55min 15sec);

Patrick McAlonan.


Carey Scorers:

James Black: 0.5 (0.4 from frees)

Christopher Butler: 0.1

Tommy Devlin: 0.1

Martin Hunter: 0.2

Cathal McAuley: 0.2 (0.1 from a free)

1 more point was added but was scored while I was attending to an injured player so unsure who scored it.

Match report:

Carey were very quick off the mark with a point on the board after just 30secs by Martin Hunter and another was added just a minute later by Christopher Butler. Carey were on the attack again but Slaughtneil conceded a free en route to goal and Slaughtneil's Mark Doherty received a yellow card. Carey then converted the resulting 20 metre free to lead by 3 points after 3 minutes. Slaughtneil then went on the attack but hit a wide before Chrissy McKeague hit Slaughtneil's first point of the match approaching 6 minutes. This was followed up by another Slaughtneil wide. Carey's fourth point came in the 8th minute with a great catch from Martin Hunter following a dropped in free but Slaughtneil replied straight away with another Chrissy McKeague point. Carey conceded a couple of frees in the following minutes which Chrissy McKeague duly converted to leave it all square approaching 14 minutes. Slaughtneil took the lead for the first time in the match at the 15 minute mark with a Seamus Logue point but Carey steadied the ship once again and added 2 points to take the lead after 18 minutes. Carey were then forced to make a blood substitution following an injury to corner forward Ruairi McBride. Carey finished this half with 3 converted frees by James Black and Slaughtneil replied with 1 point and a wide in the middle of this. On the stroke of half time Carey conceded a free which Slaughtneil converted to leave them trailing by just 2 points going into the break.

Half time score: Slaughtneil 0.7 Carey 0.9

Once again Carey started brighter in the second half with a point on the board by James Black after just a minute. Slaughtneil replied quickly with another converted free. A point a piece were then exchanged before disaster struck and a close range free (for which Emmet Hunter received a yellow card) ended up in the back of the Carey net after 6 and a half minutes. This completely changed the game and Slaughtneil were spurred on by this goal adding a further goal and 3 further points before Carey could even reply with a pointed free after 13 minutes. Carey seemed to panic and a couple of positional changes could do nothing to stem the Slaughtneil onslaught as they found the back of the net for the third time approaching 14 minutes to lead by 8. Carey lost their shape and belief and just couldn't find a path through for any more scores in this match with a 20m free being saved and a couple of dropped in balls from frees and a 65' being turned and cleared. The Slaughtneil attack also led to 2 further Carey players receiving yellow cards. Slaughtneil added another 7 points before the final whistle blew to win easily by 16 points.

Full time score: Slaughtneil 3.19 Carey 0.12