Tain League Semi Final 2013

Tain League Semi-Final 2013

Tir na nOg v Carey Faughs

Saturday 20th April 2013:

Carey Team:

(1) Steven McGinn; (2) Sean McBride; (3) Fintan McCarry; (4) Christopher Butler; (5) Colm McBride; (6) John McBride; (7) Michael Hegarty; (8) Patrick Butler; (9) Nataniel Hunter; (10) Sean McLoughlin; (11) James Black; (12) Martin Hunter; (13) Patrick McBride; (14) Cathal McAuley; (15) Fiachra McVeigh


(19) Michael McVeigh on for (7) Michael Hegarty (23min 45sec);

(18) Martin McAuley on for (2) Sean McBride (51min);

(16) Leon McVeigh;

(17) Daniel Hill;

(20) Conleth McVeigh;

(21) Sean Gillan;

(22) Conor O'Brien.


James Black: 0.6 (0.5 from frees; 0.1 from a 65')

Martin Hunter: 0.2

Nataniel Hunter: 0.1

Cathal McAuley: 1.1

Paddy McBride: 0.1

Fiachra McVeigh: 1.1

Match Report:

Tir na nOg 2-13 Carey Faughs 2-12

The second meeting in a week between these sides proved another intense battle and it has to be said the Carey men threw it away in the second half conceding 11 frees through some indiscipline despite going into the break 4 points to the good. A single point the difference as once again Tir na nOg came out on top.

Carey started off with a well worked ball up the field to find Martin Hunter for the first score of the game after just a minute of play. Tir na nOg immediately cancelled this out as Christopher Sherrin found Caoimhinn Duffin for their first point. A Paul Brammeld point gave Tir na nOg the lead briefly before Fiachra McVeigh levelled proceedings. In a busy first 5 minutes Tir na nOg took the lead once again thanks to Darryl Heatley but this was ruled out when a brilliant ball by Paddy Butler found young Fiachra McVeigh on the left wing who took on a couple of defenders and found the back of the net to give Carey a 2 point lead. Carey extended this lead to 3 less than a minute later with a Paddy McBride point. Kevin Sherrin converted a long range free before missing his next effort. James Black sent a 20 metre free between the posts and despite Carey now being on the ascendency their dominance was not rewarded as Carey missed a sitter in front of goal and also had 2 wides and just one point in this period. A Tir na nOg free was converted to leave the goal between the sides before the Tir na nOg defence saved a James Black 20 metre free when he went low. Against the run of play Tir na nOg's Darryl Heatley found the back of the net to leave things all square with 2 and a half minutes left on the clock in this half. Carey upped the pressure once again and Martin Hunter and Sean McLoughlin combined to send the ball into Cathal McAuley for a point before a free around the midfield area was heading wide but James Black kept the ball in, batting it down to Cathal McAuley who made no mistake finding the net before the whistle for half time.

Half time score: Tir na nOg 1.5 Carey Faughs 2.6

With a blistering start to the second half James Black converted a 50 metre free, Martin Hunter had a shot saved and Carey also had a wide within the first minute and a half of the restart. Tir na nOg got their second half scoring on the way approaching the 4th minute courtesy of Kevin Sherrin. A converted free apiece were exchanged by the sides before Shane Donnelly found the back of the net to leave just a point between the sides and Sherrin converted a free to level things. Tir na nOg then took the lead for the first time since the 5th minute of the first half courtesy of another Kevin 'Scamper' Sherrin converted free. James Black levelled the match once again with a converted 65' before this was cancelled out with a Caoimhinn Duffin point. The Tir na nOg keeper was forced to make a save when Martin Hunter drove the ball from 30 metres and the defence then had to work very hard to clear this pressure. A Tir na nOg wide was followed by a long range free dropping short and being cleared before Martin Hunter levelled proceedings once again. James Black then gave Carey back the lead with his accurate free taking. The Carey men then risked replacing a corner back for another forward and it looked like this had payed off when Martin Hunter made a great run and pass across the square to find substitute Martin McAuley but he missed an absolute sitter and sent the ball wide. The match was level once again when Sherrin made no mistake with another free. Carey were then down to 14 men as Martin Hunter received a second yellow but the Carey men were off the hook when the resulting long distance free sailed wide. With just half a minute left on the clock the men in green probably thought they had things tied up when sharpshooter James Black converted a close range free but some Carey indiscipline deep into injury time led to two further frees and Scamper made no mistake in booking his teams place in the final.

Full time score: Tir na nOg 2.13 Carey Faughs 2.12